Friday, January 2, 2015

Tough Jews

Tough Jews Rich Cohen wrote published in 1998- ‘Tough Jews’ … ‘In the formative years, those following the Holocaust, as they were faced with the image of the dead, degraded Jews being bulldozed into mass graves here was another image closer to home- Jews with guns, tough fearless Jews. Don’t let the yarmulke fool ya. Those Jews kill you before you get around to killing them. Busgy Siegel, Abe Reles, Louis Lepke, anti heroes whose very swagger seemed to provide another option. If Jewish gangsters still thrived today, if they hadn’t gone legit, it Jews of my generation didn’t regard them as figments, creatures to be regarded with Big Foot and the Loch Ness monster. I think the Jewish community might be better off. After all, everyone needs someone who gives the illusion of strength. How else to explain the sacred position in which American Jews hold the Jewish Army? Army of occupation baby! …. The story I am left with is not so much one of facts as the noise those facts made passing through time. It is a story of shifting perspective, the way that a group of Brooklyn thugs, each with his own rise and fall fills a need in the lives of my father and his friends and then that story seen through my eyes like laying colored glass over colored glass. … The Jewish gangster has been forgotten because no one wants to remember him, because grandmother wouldn’t talk about him, because he is something to be ashamed of. Well to me remembering Jewish gangsters is a good way to being born after 1945 with being someone who has always had the Holocaust at his back, the distant tom-tom: six million, six million, six million. The gangster with their own wisecracking machine gun beat, push that other noise clear from my head. And they drown out other things too like the stereotype that fits the entire Jewish community into the middle class, comfortable easy chair Jews with nothing but morality for dessert. Where I grew up it was understood that even the most reckless Jew ends up in medical school. Well the gangster helped me to clear this trap showing me that the worst was possible, so is everything else. If a Jew can die in an electric chair, anything can happen. P20-21 Tough Jews Rich Cohen Random House 1998 A couple of days ago I was reading what Moses thought of the Jews and ; ‘And for Jews he said- Hear Yahweh the call of Judah and to his people you come (with) his hands increasing for him help from his competition you being (with him) Duet 33:7 Look to be honest with you my opinion is that the Jews have carried The Bible and The Breeth/Agreement almost by themselves far too long and we others need to step up to the plate and join the team whether it is in Crown Heights Brooklyn or in Upper middle class New Jersey- And when I talk about joining the team I think of The Competition Jews have faced and this time around if we are indeed facing another Holocaust - I for one cannot bare to face judgment of my Jewish King if I did not join in the coming events with Tough Jews. Sure some of my Brethren ancestors have tended to a pacifist approach when it comes to killing other people- but that has not stopped us from becoming familiar with strategic military thinking and the commando lifestyle- and I guess if we have the same commander (Joshua 5:14) then despite never having met any American Jews apart from the legendary Danny Vegas the sixteen year old kid who taught a new generation of New Zealand protestors skills in inner city street life back in the Radical Youth time… Well Tough Jews! Yes 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment